Math 447/747, Coding Theory, Fall 2012
Math 447 is an introduction to coding theory. It is also cross-listed as the graduate course math 747. Lectures are 9:30-10:20 Mondays, Wednesdays, and Fridays. The Monday and Friday lectures are in WMC 3220. Wednesday is in AQ 5016.
- The final exam is in room AQ 5016.
- Review notes.
- Blanks on other miscellaneous applications.
- Office hours in the first week of December will be Monday Dec 3 10:30-11:20; Thursday Dec 6 10:30-11:20; Friday Dec 7 1-2. The exam is Saturday Dec 8 from 3:30 to 6:30.
- Blanks for 2D barcodes and filled.
- Question 30 from 6.6 has an error, see the comment next to assignment 8.
- Blanks for 1D barcodes and filled (the barcodes we made with the barcode font won't show up unless you happen to have that font installed).
- Please read the information on the project. Key dates: choose project vs. final by Nov 2; choose project topic by Nov 16; project due Dec 3.
- Midterm solutions.
- The midterm covers everything we've done up to and including self dual codes.
- Extra office hours Thursday October 11, from 11-12 and 1-2.
- Assignment 1 is due Friday, September 14 in class.
- The midterm is Friday, October 12 in class.
- Office hours are 10:30-11:20 M and 12-1 W in my office. The syllabus has been updated with this information.
- Assignment 1 due September 14 in class. Solutions.
- Assignment 2 due September 21 in class. Solutions.
- Assignment 3 due September 28 in class. Solutions.
- Assignment 4 due October 5 in class. Solutions.
- Assignment 5 due October 26 in class. Solutions.
- Assignment 6 due November 2 in class. Solutions.
- Assignment 7 due November 16 in class. For question 10, the problem tells you that the BCH code is t-error correcting, not that the extended code is t-error correcting (you have to prove that!). Solutions.
- Assignment 8 due November 30 in class. Question 30 has an error. The product in the middle expression should exclude j=k, and then on the right hand side σ should be σ'. Solutions.
- Karen Yeats
- SC K 10508
- karen_yeats at sfu.ca
- Office Hours:
- 10:30-11:20 M, 12-1 W.
- 9:30-10:30 MWF. MF in WMC3220, W in AQ5016
- An introduction to error correcting codes with applications by Vanstone and van Oorschot.