Math 800, Commutative Algebra, Fall 2013
This course is a first graduate course in commutative algebra.
We will discuss modules, affine algebras, localization, transcendence
degree, chain conditions, Krull dimension, and applications to other
parts of mathematics as time permits. We will cover a substantial
portion of the text with the notable exception that we will not discuss
Galois theory (which is covered by math 740).
This course is meant to fulfill the role of math 817 in providing a
graduate level abstract algebra course, while also covering different and
useful material for those who have taken 817 in its previous noncommutative incarnation. In particular it is meant to be accessible to new
graduate students who have done undergrad abstract algebra as well
as appropriate for students who have taken 817
Lectures are Wednesday and Friday 2:30-4:20. The room will be AQ5007 until the K9509 renovations are complete, after which we will be in K9509.
- The due date for the written project has been moved to Monday December 9.
- Some cohomology notes by Peter Webb. The initial motivating section is not from a particularly algebraic perspective, but the rest is.
- Please let me know what project topic you have chosen by November 1. More information about the project.
- Assignment 1, due Friday September 27 in class. Solutions.
- Assignment 2, due Friday October 18 in class. Solutions.
- Assignment 3, due Friday November 8 in class. Solutions.
- Assignment 4, due Friday November 29 in class. Solutions.
If you find mistakes, larger or small, please download the tex, fix them and then email me the tex and pdf back. Mahdieh has put a comment at the end of her tex file indicating the version; let's use that to keep track of revisions.
- September 6 (tex). Scribe: Mahdieh
- September 11 (tex). Scribe: Brad
- September 13 (tex). Scribe: Nav
- September 18 (tex). Scribe: Yue
- September 20 (tex). Scribe: Gleb
- September 25 (tex). Scribe: Brett
- September 27 (tex). Scribe: Stefan
- October 2: no class
- October 4 (tex). Scribe Mahdieh
- October 9 (tex). Scribe Brad
- October 11 (tex). Scribe Nav
- October 16 (tex). Scribe Steve
- October 18 (tex). Scribe Gleb
- October 23 (tex). Scribe Stefan
- October 25 (tex). Scribe Yue
- October 30 (tex). Scribe Brett
- November 1 (tex). Scribe Nav
- November 6 (tex). Scribe Mahdieh
- November 8 (tex). Scribe Gleb
- November 13 (tex). Scribe Brett
- November 15 (tex). Scribe Stefan
- November 20. Lecture cancelled
- November 22 (tex). Scribe Brad
- November 27. presentations: Brad, Brett, and Stefan.
- November 29. presentations: Nav, Mahdieh, and Gleb.
- Karen Yeats
- SS K 10508
- karen_yeats at sfu.ca
- Office Hours:
- 2:30-4:20 WF, AQ5007 until K9509 is ready, K9509 once it is ready.
- "Graduate Algebra: Commutative View" by Louis Rowen,
Graduate Studies in Mathematics, 73, 2006. ISBN-13: 978-0-8218-0570-1