Math 821, Combinatorics, Spring 2013
The class will begin with generating functions, move on to combinatorial Hopf algebras, and then conclude with partitions. We have some capacity to adjust based on the interests and background of the participants.
Lectures are 10:30-12:20 Tuesdays and Thursdays in the PIMS seminar room, TASC2 8500, except for Feb 26 which is in K9509 and March 19 which is in AQ 5025. Strong undergrads can be signed in; let me know if you are interested.
- Question 3 clarified on Assignment 4.
- Presentation schedule:
- April 2: Iain, Avery
- April 4: Mahdieh, Yue, Amy
- April 9: TJ, Wei, Yian
- April 11: Ross, Avi
- Come by to discuss your project topic on or before March 7.
- Scribing schedule for March posted.
- Clarified some wording in assignment 2.
- March 19 we are moved to AQ 5025, but we don't have to move on March 5 any more.
- Scribing schedule for February posted
- Typo in assignment 1 corrected.
- On Tuesday Jan 22 the 3:30-4:20 office hours are cancelled.
- More office hours: 10:00-10:20 Tuesdays and Thursdays (right before class)
- We are now moved to the much more blackboard friendly PIMS seminar room, TASC2 8500, except for Feb 26 and Mar 5 which are in K9509.
- The syllabus and initial scribing schedule have been posted.
- Assignment 1. Due Thursday January 31 in class. Solutions.
- Assignment 2. Due Tuesday February 19 in class. Solutions.
- Assignment 3. Due Thursday March 14 in class. Solutions.
- Assignment 4. Due Thursday April 4 in class. Solutions.
- January 15, scribe: Iain, with a corrected construction.
- January 17, scribe: Mahdieh
- January 22, scribe: Yue
- January 24, scribe: TJ
- January 29, scribe: Avery
- January 31, scribe: Ross
- February 5, scribe: Amy
- February 7, scribe: Yian
- February 19, scribe: Wei
- February 21, scribe: Iain
- February 26, scribe: Avi
- February 28, scribe: Yue
- March 5, scribe: Mahdieh
- March 7, scribe: Yian
- March 12, scribe: Avery
- March 14, scribe: Ross
- March 19, scribe: TJ
- March 21, scribe: Avi
- March 26, scribe: Wei
- March 28, scribe: Amy
- Flajolet and Sedgewick, Analytic combinatorics, Cambridge (2009). Downloadable from here.
- Reiner, Hopf algebras in combinatorics.
- Karen Yeats
- SC K 10508
- karen_yeats at sfu.ca
- Office Hours:
- 10:00-10:20 and 3:30-4:20 Tuesdays; 10:00-10:20 and 1:30-2:20 Thursdays.
- 10:30-12:20 TR in the PIMS seminar room TASC2 8500 (except for Feb 26 which is in K9509 and March 19 which is in AQ 5025)
There is no textbook for the course